Saturday, May 1, 2010

What do you do with a BA in...History? (followed swiftly by a MA)

I love my course, I really do. I love that I'm finally free to choose the pathway I'm most interested in without restriction. So when people ask me what I'm studying, I always smile when I tell them the following, in one breath (ok, fine, two):

"I'm currently reading for my Masters in International history, leaning towards Soviet history with direct focus on the Stalinist period from a Trotskyist point of view."

OK, the last part was only recently added. Anyway, these are the responses I usually get to that.

Either:




Or:



Or:


(I couldn't find a 'YOU BE CRAZY' face better than that one)

To be honest the reactions used to annoy me once but now they make me giggle. I have gotten so used to being asked what the fuck I'm going to do with my life that it has become that funny. I mean, it's a wee bit worrying that I'm not sure yet but, to those who piss me off, I usually tell them I aspire to be the leader of a Stalinist political party. That's one of the reasons why I inherited my beloved petname, the Shaved Communist, thanks to one of my lovely former classmates who muttered it 'under her breath' when I walked into class with a new hairdo and wearing my favourite t-shirt:



I also have this one which has earned quite a few glares:



It's enough to make my mother have a Mediterranean mourner-type fit and wonder where the hell she sprung me from! I almost got shot when I tried to wear the first t-shirt to Christmas lunch with the extended family. Quite a funny occasion, that.

Anyway, my point. I may have a (there's no other way to put it) completely useless degree, one that may eventually get me into trouble with the former USSR - "I was only trying to research, Mr Putin!" - but I can't say I don't love it. I complain about all the assignments and all the reading and mock Trotsky for whining as much as he does - but who doesn't grumble about all this stuff? Apart from Trotsky, I mean. I have a feeling no one else would willingly choose to read The Revolution Betrayed unless they had a death wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment